Batang Kali landslide: More victims believed to have been discovered
CALVES OF ENDANGERED JAVAN RHINOS SPOTTED IN INDONESIA
JAKARTA, INDONESIA: Indonesia has welcomed two baby Javan rhinoceroses to a family of one of the world's most endangered species, the environment and forestry ministry said.
Hidden camera footage released by the ministry at the weekend showed a small rhino trudging alongside another almost three times its size in the muddy terrain of the protected Ujung Kulon National Park on the western tip of Java Island.
Environment and Forestry Minister Siti Nurbaya Bakar said the births would ensure rhino populations keep rising.
Javan rhinos, which are distinguished by their single horn, were once found throughout northeast India and South-East Asia.
Today they are among the most threatened of the five (5) rhino species, mainly due to poaching.
There are now 77 Javan rhinos in Ujung Kulon, the ministry said.
>>>READ MORE ARTICLE HERE<<<
JESUIT ABUSE CASE WIDENS AS VICTIM SPEAKS, ORDER SEEKS WITNESSES
ROME, ITALY: A case of sexual abuse rattling the Jesuits has widened with a former nun describing how her complaints against a prominent priest were ignored and as the religious order urged others to come forward with any new evidence.
The women, now 58 years old, told the respected Italian investigation newspaper Domani on Sunday, December 18, 2022 of her alleged abuse by Father Marko Ivan Rupnik, a Slovenian priest known in the Church for his artwork.
She described how the priest used his " psycho-spiritual " control over her some three (3) decades ago to have sex, including group sex, and watch pornographic films. At the time, he was spiritual director of a convent in Slovenia.
Rupnik is at the centre of scandal that has engulfed the Jesuits, a Catholic order of priests and brothers, of which Pope Francis is a member.
The order's statements have been contradictory, leaving many questions unanswered. Some top Jesuits have called for a full review of how the order and the Vatican have handled the case.
It was only after media reports about Rupnik's alleged abuse of nuns did Jesuit headquarters issue a statement on December 02, 2022 saying he had been disciplined.
It said it had commissioned an unnamed non-Jesuit to investigate Rupnik, 68, after the Vatican received a complaint last year. The Jesuits put restrictions on his ministry.
The Jesuits gave the results to the Vatican doctrinal department, which closed the case in October, citing the statute of limitations. The Jesuits kept in place restrictions barring Rupnik from hearing confessions or leading spiritual retreats.
On December 07, 2022, Jesuit leader Father Arturo Sosa said nothing had been hidden, but later contradicted himself. A timeline released by the Jesuits on Sunday showed that a separate process had taken place years earlier, between 2018 and 2020, which resulted in Rupnik's excommunication.
That case involved the " absolution of anccomplice " in confession, referring to when a priest has sex with someone and then absolved the person of the sin. The timeline showed that the Vatican imposed the excommunication in May 2020 and lifted it that same month, after Rupnik repented.
The information released by the Jesuits did not show any attempt to discipline Rupnik more severely or to defrock him.
Repeated attempt to reach Rupnik through his school for religious art in Rome were not successful and he did not respond to message left there.
On Sunday, the Jesuits effectively reopened the case, posting a letter on their website asking anyone wishing to make new complaints or discuss existing ones to contact them.
Calls to the Jesuit press office for comment on the latest developments went unanswered on Monday.
In the interview with Domani, the former nun describes in detail her time in the convent between 1987 and 1994. She said she believed Rupnik had abused as many as 20 women.
She said her complaints to her female supervisor and a Church leader in Slovenia at the time were not heeded.
" He should have been stopped 30 years ago, " the woman told Domani.
>>>READ MORE ARTICLE CLICK HERE<<<
EARTHQUAKE ABOUT 5.3 MAGNITUDE JOLTS PHILIPPINES; NORTHERN PROVINCE OF ABRA
ISTANBUL, DECEMBER 19, 2022: A 5.3 magnitude earthquake shook the Philippines on Monday, December 19, 2022 the country's Institute of Volcanology and Seismology announced.
The institute said the earthquake struck the northern province of Abra at around 1906 pm (0906GMT) reported Anadolu.
No damage to life or property was reported when this report was filed.
Home to around 250,985 people, Abra province is part of the Cordillera Administrative Region in the Southeast Asian nation.
According to US Geological Survey, it was a 5.2 magnitude earthquake at a depth of 14 kilometres (8.6 miles).
Phivolcs warned of possible damage and aftershocks.
Earthquakes are common in the Philippines, which is located in the " Pacific Ring Of Fire " where many volcanic eruptions and shaking occur.
>>>READ MORE ARTICLE HERE<<<
TENAGA NASIONAL BERHAD (TNB) NEED TO INVESTIGATE ELECTROCUTION INCIDENT IN
KOTA BARU, KELANTAN: Tenaga Nasional Berhad (TNB) is conducting a follow-up investigation into an electrocution incident that resulted in the death of three (3) siblings in a flooded house in Kampung Bendang Surau Near Morak, Tumpat, Kelantan on Monday (December 19, 2022).
TNB in a statement said that the investigation also involved cooperation with authorities such as the Energy Commission and the police, and the public is advised not to spread any photos or videos of the incident or make any speculations.
" The public is urged to provide the authorities with some time and space to conduct investigations while respecting the feelings and sensitivities of the victims' family members. TNB also offers its condelences to the family members of the victimes, " read the statement.
TNB in the statement also reminded the public not to approach or touch electrical installations that were submerged in water for fear of current leakage.
" TNB will ensure that the safety of the public is always prioritised, including temporarily disconnecting the electricity supply to the flooded areas for safety reasons, and the reconnection of the supply will be done as soon as it is safe to do so.
" The public is urged to call 1-300-88-5454 to report any TNB installations found to be in a dangerous condition," said the statement.
>>>READ MORE ARTICLE HERE<<<
VICTIMS IN BATANG KALI LANDSLIDE WILL CONTINUE UNTIL 4AM DECEMBER 18, 2022
HULU SELANGOR, SELANGOR: Searching operations will continue until 4am on Sunday (December 18, 2022) despite light rains at the Batang Kali landslide site, says Hulu Selangor OCPD Supt Suffian Abdullah.
" Operations will continue as planned until 4am Sunday. The search will then resume at 9am.
" We will also continue to focus on sectors A, B and C during the operation," he told reporters at the landslide site on Saturday (December 17, 2022).
Supt Suffian, however, noted that search operations will also depend on weather conditions, adding that it would temporarily cease if there were heavy rains.
Selangor deputy Fire and Rescue Department director Wan Md Razali Wan Ismail added that 135 rescue personal would be involved in the operations on Saturday night.
There are still nine (9) victims yet to be found later.
>>>READ MORE ARTICLE HERE<<<
TAIWAN PREMIER SLAMS CHINA OVER FRESH IMPORT BANS
TAIPEI, DECEMBER 11, 2022 (SUNDAY): Taiwan's premier on Sunday accused China of violating international trade rules and " discriminating" against the island after it halted more Taiwanese imports.
According to Taiwan's finance ministry, Chinese customs authorities " suddenly suspended " imports of certain alcoholic beverages from the island on Friday.
It said the move was related to a regulation Beijing imposed on January 01, 2022 that requires all food and alcoholic beverage exporters to the mainland to be registered with Chinese customs. Some Taiwanese companies had still been under review.
Premier Su Tseng-chang accused Beijing of violating World Trade Organization (WTO) norms by "making its own rules" and "meddling in trade through administrative means."
China " is especially tough on Taiwan and especially discriminates against Taiwan...They've asked Taiwan to do this and do that," he told reporters on Sunday.
Taiwan plans to appeal to the WTO and will assist the affected businesses, he added.
Beijing claims self-ruled democratic Taiwan as part of its territory to be taken one day, by force if necessary.
It has ramped up military, diplomatic and economic pressure on the island since the 2016 election of President Tsai Ing-wen, and has previously banned imports of other products from the island as relations deteriorated.
" Heard that the #PRC is banning some products from #Taiwan again, including our beer," Taiwanese foreign minister Joseph Wu tweeted on Sunday, Disember 11, 2022 using the hashtag " FREEDOMBEER".
" Economic coercion of course. But they don't know what they're missing: the great taste of freedom."
China slapped fresh bans on certain fruit and fish imports in retaliation for US Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi's visit to Taipei in August, which prompted a furious response from Beijing and a flurry of military drills.
A year earlier, pineapple imports were halted after Chinese authorities claimed to have discovered pests in shipments, just as the annual harvest was under way.
Taiwanese officials said some 2,400 registration applications from food, food processing, fishery and alcohol companies could not be completed. Around 600 applications will be resubmitted, while the rest are expected to be dropped.
Taiwan's semi-official Central News Agency reported 11 out of 28 beer and distillery products registered by Taiwanese exporters had been suspended from Friday, citing Chinese customs.
The affected companies include state-run Taiwan Tobacco & Liquor Corp.
Shipments of 123 out 354 other beverage items have also been halted, including those from Taiwanese food giant Uni-President Enterprises, the report said.
Taiwan sold $250 million worth of beverages and $43.4 million dollars in alcoholic products to China last year, official data showed.
>>>READ MORE ARTICLE HERE<<<
PORTUGAL SOCCER COACH DOES NOT REGRET LEAVING RONALDO OUT V MOROCCO
DOHA, QATAR: Portugal manager Fernando Santos said that he would not change his decision of leaving Cristiano Ronaldo on the bench even after his team was knocked-out from the World Cup due to a 1-0 defeat against Morocco in their quarter-final clash on Saturday, Disember 10, 2022.
Portugal's all-time leading goal scorer with 118 goals in 195 appearances, Ronaldo was benched for Tuesday's 6-1 win over Switzerland in the last 16 where the 21-year-old Ramos scored three in only his fourth appearance.
Ronaldo stormed off the pitch after the final whistle crying effusively while being comforted by his team mates.
" I do not regret (leaving Ronaldo on the bench)," coach Santos told a news conference on Saturday.
" It wouldn't change anything, in terms of the team I can't be thinking with my heart.
" I used the team that played really well against Switzerland and there was no reason to change it (against Morocco).
" The strategic decision that I had to make was one of the hardest, but I can't think with my heart, I have to think with my head.
" It's not that Ronaldo is no longer a great player, that has nothing to do with it."
Morocco's Atlas Lions extended their dream run and roared into the history books by becoming the first-ever African and Arab country to reach the final four of the tournament thanks to a Youssef En-Nesyri goal in the first-half.
Santos refused to comment on whether he will resign and said that he will talk to the Portuguese FA president over the next week about his future.
He said his team had difficulties finding spaces between the disciplined Moroccan defensive lines, and he praised their opponents for their efforts, saying it was " completely their merit."
" Sometimes in football what you need is a little bit of luck," Santos said.
" We showed effort and quality, had several chances to score with Joao Felix, and Bruno Fernandes hit the bar, Pepe had a header in the end that could have been the equaliser...A bit of luck was missing.
>>>READ MORE ARTICLE HERE JUST CLICK<<<
LOOKING FOR STUDENTS INVOLVED IN BULLYING INCIDENT IN SABAH - POLICE INVESTIGATE @Jackie San KOTA KINABALU, SABAH (JANUARY 18, 2023) : Pol...